At Key Stage 2 children should continue to read to their parents or carers, or, if they are already fluent readers, read on their own for between 10 and 20 minutes per day. In Key Stage 2, we initially expect a minimum of one and a half hours of home learning a week and will increase though years 3 to 6, preparing them for Secondary School expectations of up to an hour and a half each night. In Year 3- 6 home learning will include reading, spelling and maths including times.
Typical activities include:
- Reading – daily for a minimum of ten minutes
- Times tables – using Time Tables Rock Stars (all times tables up to 12x12)
- Maths – Abacus weekly online games, consolidating current learning
- Spellings – Year 5/6 spelling rules
- Activities selected from the curriculum home learning grids (Year 5 only)